Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My guardian angel wears lipstick

Grandma meeting Abbey.

On August 12, 2010 my grandmother, Bonnie Laird, returned to her loving Heavenly Father, peacefully, surrounded by loved ones. Her passing was quite unexpected, so it is with great sorrow that we say our good-byes to this wonderful and caring woman we lovingly refer to as "Grandma Bonnie".

Grandma's quick wit and spunk made her an absolute joy to be around. Her clever remarks and keen sense of humor always had everyone laughing!

Grandma was very meticulous about sending out birthday cards to every member of her extended family. We knew that a couple days before our birthday, we could expect a beautiful Hallmark card in the mail. Grandma had a birthday card all made out with $5 in it for Autumn. My parents handed me the card and it hit me--this would be the last birthday card that my little family would see from Grandma Bonnie. I will treasure this piece of paper always.
"Autumn Ellen" so beautifully written on the front in Grandma's beautiful script.

Grandma was an avid doll collector and had a huge collection of Barbie dolls and Madame Alexander dolls perfectly displayed in her house. Every doll was special to her and she took great care in collecting and displaying her dolls. She passed on the doll collecting fever to many of her granddaughters. I remember as a little girl, staring through the glass of her curio cabinets at the gorgeous dresses and accessories of every Barbie. I was so envious that Grandma got to play with such beautiful Barbies!


Celebrating Grandma's 80th birthday

A wonderful memory that I will always cherish is going on vacation with Grandma to Reno and Lake Tahoe, Nevada when I was 16. We invited her along on our family vacation and with much pressure from Dad, she decided to come. She willingly rode in the back of Dad's truck with me and we had a great time chatting and seeing the sights. We visited the pristine lake, The Ponderosa, and also her brother Vance that lives in Nevada. We had such a great time with Grandma and we were so glad she came with us.

This scripture in Alma always brings me comfort:
Alma 40:12--And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.

I have a testimony of the atonement of Jesus Christ. I know that through his sacrifice, all men may be forgiven of his sins and able to return to the presence of our Heavenly Father. I know that Grandma is at peace now and surrounded by loved ones that have passed. It brings me comfort to know that she is watching over me and my family.

I love you, Grandma Bonnie and I will miss coming to your little house in Eureka. I will miss your yummy lunches and candied yams. I will miss your birthday cards and visiting you on Mother's Day. I will miss watching you hold and play with my babies. You will forever be in my heart.

I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Grandma meeting Autumn. Autumn lovingly referred to her as "G.G. Bonnie"

\
Grandma holding Autumn on her blessing day.

4 comments:

  1. That was really special crissie! Thank you for writing that. It really was beautiful all you said. I will miss grandma bonnie so much but know I will see her again. Love you grandma forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds amazing Crissie! What a wonderful tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet~ what a lovely family you have.

    Peace and Love,
    Susa

    ReplyDelete