Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Grandpa Herm, My Angel

On February 9, 2009 my sweet Grandpa Herm returned to his Heavenly Father. All of my mom's family was by his side in the hospital when he passed. He had been sick and struggling with colon cancer for about 6 months or so. He stayed in a care center for about 2 months and just kept getting worse. They admitted him to the hosptial, and two days later, they told my grandma that things weren't looking good for him. That sweet man held on as long as he could. He was so afraid to leave this world behind, but I know that once he finally let go, all of his worries and fears were completely alleviated. Now I know that he is such a beautiful and peaceful place. Two scriptures from Alma describe it perfectly:



11 Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection—Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.

12 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.





I know that my sweet and loving grandpa is there. I love him so much and I miss him so much already. I know his spirit will surround us and he is our guardian angel!




Memories of Grandpa Herm




I have a lot of wonderful memories of my grandpa. I remember going over to his house when we were off-track and he would make all of us toast for breakfast. This wasn't just ordinary toast, this was the best toast ever! He buttered it just right and topped it off with Grandma's homemade plum jam.




I remember him working in his yard while we watched and played. He would pick us a peach or an apricot and we would eat it, right there in the backyard. I thought that was the best thing ever! He always kept his yard so beautiful.




If we ever acted up, Grandpa wasn't afraid to lay down the law. He would tell us "I'm gonna give you a lickin' if you don't knock it off!" Well, that was enough to get us back in-line! Grandpa also wasn't afraid to give us lots of hugs and kisses. He always had a special place in his heart for his little grandchildren and great-grandchildren.




I remember him singing songs that he learned as a boy, growing up in Newfoundland, Canada. He would also recite poems to us, which was so neat. Grandpa also taught me how to say the alphabet backwards, and I can still do it to this day!




After having Autumn, it was so special to watch him with her. It was so special to me that she had a great-grandfather to know and love. He would always want to hold her and hug her. He would play "Here comes the bumblee out of the tree..." and she would laugh and giggle! It was so cute.




On one of his last nights in the hospital he reached out his hand to touch her little hand. I will never forget that.




Now he is gone, from this life, but I know he is not gone forever. I know I will get to see him again and a year from now, we can't wait to get his temple work done so he can be in the covenant and move on.




I love you so much, Grandpa Herm. You will always be in my heart.

5 comments:

  1. Crissie your memories are so sweet, in fact they made me tear up. I'm so sorry that your grandpa passed. However having the opportunity to do his work will be so amazing :O) Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are thinking and praying for your family. Losing someone is such a struggle but your beautiful memories will heal anything! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry Crissie, it's really tough to loose someone so special. It's awesome that you have such great memmories of him though. Hope your doing ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clarissa, I loved hearing all your memories of your Grandpa! They are the sweetest. I hope you guys are doing good. I heard about your tile. Yikes! I hate house problems and guest's in our case. (our mice)Let me know if I can do anything for you. I want to start getting a scrapboking thing set up once a month during the day. Nothing hard just getting together and working on our own pages whoever wants to if you would be up to it let me know. I hope you are feeling better. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh I can't stop crying. Thank you for that Clarissa. I don't know why I didn't read this earlier. I miss him so much. It's still so hard for me! But thank you for writing that. I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete